by: ZINC Staffers
Here at ZINC, we see the laid-back summer days ahead not only as a chance to get out and discover new places on Vancouver Island, but also as an opportunity to learn new things and challenge old ways of thinking. We’ve rounded up a few of our go-to spots for inspiration and insights. Check them out below if you’re interested in some summer learning.
“HURRY SLOWLY” – with JOCELYN K. GLEI
Want actionable tips on making great creative work in the “age of distraction,” or, on how to do more work – but without more stress? We recommend a visit to https://jkglei.com/, where Jocelyn K. Glei, author, podcaster and speaker shares an ever-expanding library of resources, including:
- Bi-weekly newsletter filled with neat links: Highlighting new ideas on how to be more creative and make time for work that matters. Check out the original illustrations.
- Insightful articles: Ranging in topics from Saying “No” with Grace to Why You Need “White Space” in Your Daily Routine.
- Our priority podcast (“Hurry Slowly”): Interviewing smart people on how to be more productive, creative and resilient through the simple act of slowing down.
Strong Towns is an international movement that’s dedicated to making communities across the US and Canada strong and resilient. We like their site because it offers glimpses into how small towns and big cities are thinking differently about growth. While they offer a range of high-quality content, we’re big fans of their podcasts:
- Strong Towns: Weekly episodes on making our communities better by making them more financially stable.
- It’s the Little Things: Conversations with community members who have taken action to make their city or town stronger, and what they achieved along the way.
- Upzoned: In-depth discussions on the hot news topic of the day – everything from the effects of smart city technology to the impact of big box stores.
“THE BRAND IS FEMALE” PODCAST – hosted by EVA HARTLING
Would you like to be a “fly on the wall” listening in as influential women share their stories? If your answer is ‘Yes’ – this may be your new favourite podcast. The guests on this podcast come from all different backgrounds – they’re entrepreneurs, artists, CEOs, directors…the list goes on. Here are a few of our faves from the list:
- Julietta Dexter: Founder and CEO of The Communications Store, a leading London PR agency.
- Michèle Maheux: Outgoing Executive Director and COO of the Toronto International Film festival (TIFF).
- Tiffany Sorya: Founder and CEO of Novel Education Group, a homeschooling and tutoring organization that’s disrupting the traditional schooling model.
We hope you enjoy some learning this warm-weather season – after all, summer school isn’t just for kids.
What do you ZINC about these spots for summer learning? Send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org with your favourite books, podcasts, blogs or any other suggestions you think we’d love.